True Home Partners Powered by Compass
21 Andrew—Cambridgeport Townhouse
$1,000,000 | 21 Andrew, Cambridge, MA 02139
Style and efficiency abound in this Cambridgeport townhouse that lives like a single-family. You are immediately struck by the warm and sunny vibe of this renovated Victorian home, with its high ceilings and skylights, and by the practical layout and clever storage solutions. The first floor is a great “open plan” hang-out/gathering space, from the modern eat-in kitchen, to the light-filled living room, to the private patio in back. There are two large bedrooms on the second floor, with vaulted ceilings and full closets, and a full bath. The finished lower level is a bright and open space and has a full bathroom; most recently it was used as the primary bedroom, this level can also serve as a family room or a spacious home office. Totally renovated in a “down-to-the-studs” condo conversion in 2010, other standouts include: high-efficiency heating, on-demand hot water, A/C, double-paned windows, in-unit laundry, and a newer roof. This location is a commuter’s dream at just ½ mile to the Central Square red line, and minutes to Memorial and Storrow Drives. There are a feast of culinary hot-spots like Little Donkey, Craigie on Main, and Coast Café, as well as the cultural attractions of Central and Harvard Squares. Andrew Street is a quiet street, with a warm neighborhood feel, and a sweetly renovated pocket park at one end. Two blocks away, you will find a Whole Foods and a Walgreens for daily errands, and two more parks with basketball and tennis courts.
- Living Area: 1,294 square feet
- 5 rooms, 2+ bedrooms, 2 ½ baths
- Year built 1894, Renovated 2010
- Condo Fee: $225/month
Main living Level:
- This townhouse has the feel of a single family with a private entrance on the side and a private patio in back.
- Entrance: Upon entering you are greeted by high ceilings and modern light fixtures and are immediately struck by the warm and sunny vibe of this home. There is a coat closet straight ahead, and newly refinished oak flooring and freshly painted walls throughout.
- Living room: To the right is the living room, with a 3-window bay and one side window. This room is just the right size to be your all-around hangout space, and is partially open to the kitchen, giving the first floor a modern “open plan” feel.
- Eat-in kitchen: To the left is the eat-in kitchen with white shaker-style cabinetry, black honed granite countertops, and a glass tile backsplash. The stainless-steel appliance suite includes: GE refrigerator, dishwasher, 4-Burner gas range and a Frigidaire microwave with recirculating vent. The owners created several clever storage additions to this home, including a white lacquered built in kitchen pantry.
- Private patio: Off of the kitchen is access to the private back and side patio. This area has bluestone paving, built in wood planter beds, some with storage, and a wooden storage shed. A great gathering space to grill and dine alfresco.
- Half Bathroom: There's a powder room on this level, outfitted with a modern square vanity and sink, and plentiful built-in storage cabinets.
- Two bedrooms: There are two large bedrooms on this floor. Both feature amazing cathedral ceilings with a skylight, and a corner exposure with two windows. The closets are custom outfitted and have an additional storage closet above. Newly refinished oak flooring and freshly painted walls throughout.
- Full bath: The full bathroom for this floor has one large window, a tub/shower with full tile surround, and single sink vanity with quartz countertop and a large medicine cabinet. The flooring is travertine tile.
Lower living Level:
- Family room: This large open room is truly a flexible space. Most recently used as the primary bedroom with ensuite bathroom. Other uses could include a family room or home office. There is a wall of built-in white wardrobe and storage closets, and wall-to wall-carpeting.
- Full Bath: The bathroom has a tile shower with white subway surround and a glass enclosure. There’s a single sink vanity with quartz countertop and a white wood cabinet base. Plentiful storage is available in the medicine cabinet and the wall cabinet. The flooring is a tumbled tile.
- Laundry: Maytag top loading washer and gas dryer (2010) are housed in a double closet and are included in the sale.
Systems & Storage:
- Heat: Gas-fired baseboard heating system is a high efficiency Baxi boiler. The 3-zone system is controlled through Honeywell programmable thermostats. The hot water is “on demand” and provided through the Baxi as well (2010).
- A/C: there are 3 Panasonic mini-splits, one on each floor (2012).
- Electrical: 100 amps circuit breakers.
Exterior and Property:
- Windows: vinyl thermopane “tilt and clean” (2010).
- Roof: Asphalt shingles replaced in 2019.
- Siding: painted wood shingles.
- Side and back yard: The bluestone patio is low maintenance and offers a great gathering space for grilling and alfresco dining. There are built in wood planting beds, some that open and provide storage, and a wood storage shed.
- Porch: Rebuilt with composite decking (2019).
Condo Association & Financial Information:
- 2-unit self-managed association, 100% owner-occupied.
- Condo Fee: $225/month, which includes master insurance, water & sewer, and capital reserve.
- Reserves: the association recently used most of its reserves for a new roof and exterior repair work, but typically the condo fee generates about $2000 per year in reserves.
- Beneficial Interest: This unit has 50%.
- Pet friendly
- Taxes: $2,393.70, FY20 with residential exemption discount of $2,436.
- Utilities: Eversource, electric average $64/month, gas average $52/month.
- There is a written agreement with the rear neighbor at 22.5 Fairmont Street which documents the fact that there is a 1-foot strip of land that belongs to that neighbor and that this property uses. A payment of $60 is due every 5 years and has been paid through December 31, 2025.
- Lead Paint: the Sellers obtained a lead inspection when they purchased the property and there is a Letter of Maintained Compliance that was issued in 2011.
In an effort to follow COVID-19 protocols, please refer to the following showing instructions:
- Please view the virtual tour and review all property information prior to scheduling a showing.
- All visitors please wear masks and socially distance while in and on the property.
- Visitors will be asked to use hand sanitizer or be given a fresh pair of gloves before entering the property.
- Bathroom facilities may not be used.
- All discussions about the property to take place outside so as to keep the interior visits as brief as possible.