992 Memorial Drive—with Charles River Views
$1,231,000 | 992 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02138
Own a piece of Cambridge History at Strathcona-on-the-Charles! Set against a backdrop of iconic Sycamore Trees and the Charles River lies this elegant two-bedroom, one bath condo in the heart of Harvard Square. Take the elevator to the fourth floor to find old world charm and craftsmanship coupled with modern touches. Standouts include high ceilings, hardwood oak floors, wood-burning fireplace, sunny corner exposure, and a bay window seat with views of the River. This is a well-managed historical brick building with a full-time Superintendent, beautifully landscaped grounds, and offers a common laundry facility, locked private storage, and garage parking for rent a few blocks away. Live the Cantabrigian lifestyle among the famous landmarks and museums, destination restaurants, and shops. The Redline Train will connect you to MIT, Tech Sq, MGH, and downtown Boston in a flash!
- Living Area: 1,036 interior sq ft
- 5 Rooms, 2 bedrooms, 1 bath
- Year Built: 1914
- Year converted: 1971
- Condo Fee: $701
- Common building hallways feature original carved woodwork and leaded glass windows.
- The elevator will take you to the fourth floor or take the generously sized staircase up.
- Enter into a large foyer with two nice sized closets and direct views of the Charles River.
- The large living room showcases a bay window with treetop and river views, a wood-burning fireplace with a carved wood mantle, custom built bookcases and a large closet.
- The elegant and spacious dining room can accommodate a large gathering and has wonderful built-in china cabinets below the windows.
- The custom-designed galley kitchen has granite countertops, tile flooring and white cabinetry. Appliances include a Bosch dishwasher, a Sub-Zero refrigerator with freezer on the bottom, and a Gaggenau 4-burner gas stove top and oven.
- There is a door off of the kitchen which leads to the basement.
- The main bedroom has three windows with three sunny exposures including River views.
- The second bedroom, currently being used as a home office, has two windows and a glass French door.
- The custom-designed full bathroom has a stylish granite vanity, tile floor, a tub/shower combination with white tile surround, and a wall cabinet for toiletries.
Exterior and Property:
- Brick and stone exterior with brick courtyard.
- EDPM rubber roof is older but maintained regularly and according to the management company, is in good condition.
- Windows are older and are the responsibility of each owner. Material and design of the windows is controlled by the Association and the Cambridge Historic Commission.
Basement & Systems:
- Assigned lockable storage room in basement. The storage room is generously sized and is shared with 2 other residents. Assignments, including sharing, may be changed by the Trustees.
- Well-lit and clean laundry room for residents has 3 coin-op washers and 4 coin-op dryers with a convenient EDS MoneyCard system.
- 2 Tandem Weil McLain boilers deliver heat through steam radiators. One boiler is dual fuel (oil and gas) to take advantage of the best pricing. Heat is included in the condo fee.
- Teledyne Laars boiler heats water by gas and is stored in a SuperStor tank. Hot water is included in the condo fee.
- 60-amp circuit breaker electrical panel.
- Bike storage in the front courtyard and inside #992 Memorial Drive basement.
Condo Association Information:
- The Strathcona-On-The-Charles Condominium is a 37-unit association housed in two adjacent brick buildings. Off-site management is provided by Thayer & Associates. There is a building superintendent who provides daily maintenance and can help with emergencies from 7:00am to 3:30pm, Monday through Friday.
- 26 out of the 37 units are owner occupied (70%), according to the management company.
- Taxes: $3,950.14 FY20 including the residential exemption.
- Condo fee: $701 per month (includes: Water & sewer, master insurance, building superintendent, common electric, common oil, common gas, elevator, trash removal, pest control, landscaping, property management, maintenance and capital reserve) – as of July 2020.
- Reserves: Association had $206,740 as of May 31, 2020.
- Beneficial Interest: This unit has 2.975%.
- Garage rental parking is available at University Place, 45 University Road (4 min away) for $350 per month for 24/7 access and $310 per month for Monday through Friday access.
- There is a $100 move-in fee.
- Average electric bill is $60/month, according to Eversource.
- Average gas bill is $9/month (for gas cooking), according to Eversource.